Search Site
Child Custody/Timesharing

Melbourne Firm Helps Parents Create Parenting Plans That Are in the Best Interest of the Child

Accomplished Brevard County lawyer handles custody and visitation issues

Divorcing couples who share minor children have an obligation to protect the well-being of their sons and daughters. Even if other issues are highly contested, parents should make every effort to resolve issues of timesharing by agreement. At the Law Office of Joan Berry Nassar, P.A. in Melbourne, I work with parents to establish fair custody and visitation arrangements after a breakup. With 28 years of experience assisting Brevard County families, I know how vital it is to secure a safe, supportive environment for young people who have already endured the trauma of their parents’ breakup. Whenever possible, my firm seeks to establish a parenting plan for time-sharing that enables both parties to maintain strong relationships with their children.

Dedicated Florida attorney Educates Clients About Parenting Plans

The parenting plan is the document that includes how parents will share the daily tasks associated with the upbringing of the child; a time-sharing schedule specifying the time the child will spend with each parent; a designation of which parent will be responsible for health care, school related matters, and activities;  methods of communication with the child; and any other issue that may be unique to your family.

Florida judges are required to make custody decisions based on what they believe to be in the best interests of the child. It is the public policy of this state that each minor child has frequent and continuing contact with both parents after the parents separate or the marriage of the parties is dissolved and to encourage parents to share the rights and responsibilities, and joys, of child rearing.  Courts are allowed to examine any relevant issues when making these determinations, including the following factors mentioned in the statute:

  • Parental fitness — The law guides judges to conduct a close evaluation of each parent’s fitness based on several criteria. These can include a parent’s participation in daily parental tasks and incidences of misconduct such as substance abuse or domestic violence.
  • Home, school and community engagement — Courts can look at a child’s educational record and involvement in community activities to evaluate the disruption that would be caused by moving him or her to a new home.
  • Child’s preference — If a youth has sufficient maturity and intelligence to support their preference, it can be considered by the court. However, the child’s decision will not necessarily determine the final outcome.

If the parents cannot agree to a parenting plan that is in the best interest of the child, the court will do so.

If you’re going through a divorce, I will work tirelessly to develop a parenting plan that creates a solid foundation for your child, protects your parental rights, and averts future complications. Parenting plans can be modified in the future if there is a substantial change in circumstances.

Skilled counselor works to execute necessary child custody modifications

Changes in employment, family health or finances can make a previous time-sharing arrangement unfair or unreasonable. My family law firm represents parents who need to make adjustments in time-sharing and child support orders due to changes in circumstances. Remember that even in the most amicable divorces, you cannot make these revisions on your own. Court approval is required, so if you need to make an adjustment, it is best to start the legal process immediately. My firm can prepare the necessary petition and submit it to the court for approval.

Contact a seasoned Florida child custody lawyer to schedule an appointment

The Law Office of Joan Berry Nassar, P.A. represents Brevard County clients in time-sharing/child custody disputes and a full range of family litigation matters. Please call 321-405-0042 or contact me online to schedule an appointment at my Melbourne office.

Contact us

Quick Contact Form

Legal advice will not be given via email